Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Procedures (Protsidoori)

There must be hundreds of different “procedures” available at this spa, to which one can be assigned based on complaints (treatment) or general condition (maintenance). I will only deal with our procedures in the next few blogs.

Hot mud – Every two days Tanya soaked her hands and feet in hot mineralized mud for her arthritis. It seems to help as her knuckle is not so swollen today but we’ll see how long it lasts.

Massage – Every two days we got a massage from a beefy old lady with ahms like Ahnold. (What am I saying old, she was likely 60. Ok, fine, she was old). This was a very relaxing 20 minutes for me and one of the most enjoyable procedures.

Electro-Massage – By placing electrodes and running current through them, specific muscles can be forced to contract and relax. We called it the dead frog jump in Physiology class 40 years ago (as opposed to the dead cat bounce). Tanya had an electric comb run through her hair for 10 minutes to “massage” the veins in her head so they would not be so sensitive to weather changes. I expected her to return like someone from “One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest” after a couple of treatments but she said it was quite good.

Because my lower back has been playing havoc, I get a daily double dose at two different rhythms. Two electrodes on each side of my back, weighted down with sandbags, covered with a blanket. I was curious so stuck my hand under the sandbag and it snapped at me like an electric fencer. I didn’t do it again.

2 comments:

  1. I have one of those electric contraptions. When I brought it home, we put it on different muscles to watch them jump. And then, one of us put it on our butt. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mud, mud, glorious mud,
    There's nothing quite like it for cleansing the blood.

    Or so the old song goes.

    Enuf said.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted