Monday, January 12, 2009

Motown Turns Fifty

Motown , one of the biggest recording labels in American music history celebrates 50 years this year. From Studio A, Berry Gordy's converted garage, came some of the most influential black music artists of the 20th century. Smokey Robinson, Lionel Richie, Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight, Marvin Gaye, The Temptations and of course Diana Ross and the Supremes.

My own 15 minutes of Motown fame came in the mid-80's at a staff Christmas party. Darrell and Paul offered to be my Supremes if I would be Diana Ross. Sounded as sane as anything Darrell ever proposed. Why not!!

Clothes were an issue for me. Queen size panyhose didn't fit this queen. Fredricks of Hollywood carried stilettos in my size but way out of my price range. What style of gown? All problems are overcome eventually.

We made our grand entrance. Two bearded Supremes and one 300 lb very pregnant Diana Ross lip-synching "Stop! In the Name of Love!"

Motown did not contact us about a contract.

6 comments:

  1. How I wish i had seen that. Or, that you had pictures. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do I vaguely remember this? Did I imagine that memory or were there pictures at one point?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No pictures and no video. At least no one has tried to blackmail us so I assume no pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad I am sure there was a VHS copy of this at one point. I thnk you were in blue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stop in the name of love? No just stop. The Fodder in drag. Must- get- that- image- out- of- my mind.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted